Melanie J. Rhodes
Melanie Rhodes has been affiliated with Wolf & Fox, P.C. since August of 2000 and became a partner in January of 2006. Ms. Rhodes assists her clients through some of the most difficult times in their lives, whether it involve custody disputes, domestic violence, or misdemeanor criminal issues. Ms. Rhodes is recognized as a New Mexico Board Certified Family Law Specialist.
Ms. Rhodes practices in all areas of divorce and family law, with an emphasis placed on those cases that involve domestic violence. Ms. Rhodes has presented at many conferences regarding numerous issues related to domestic violence. Additionally, while in law school, Ms. Rhodes authored and lobbied the first statute through the New Mexico Legislature which required courts to consider domestic violence when making child custody decisions.
In addition to her extensive work in the area of domestic violence laws, Ms. Rhodes also heads Wolf & Fox, P.C.'s criminal defense division where she ensures the protection of the rights of people facing felony and misdemeanor criminal charges throughout New Mexico including DWI/DUI and drug related charges. Ms. Rhodes is committed to minimizing the impact that an arrest, criminal charge, and potential conviction can have on a client's life, future, and freedom.
Ms. Rhodes' practice also involves navigating clients through the myriad of issues, both simple and complex, involved in voting and election law in New Mexico. The depth of this practice includes representation of clients who pursue political office, ballot designation litigation, ballot challenges, election recall, qualification and circulation, recount litigation, and election fraud matters.
Ms. Rhodes remains active as an alumna and regularly conducts interviews of prospective Georgetown University students.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Custody and Child Support
- Criminal Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Family Law, New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization
- New Mexico, 2000
- University of New Mexico School of Law, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Juris Doctorate - 2000
- Honors: Family Law Award of Excellence
- Georgetown University, Washington, District of Columbia
- Bachelor of Science magna cum laude - 1983
- Major: Humanities in Foreign Relations
- Family Law for Paralegals
- Custody Evaluations
Honors and Awards
- National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Mexico State Bar Association, Member
- Albuquerque Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Pro Bono Attorney Facilitator, Second Judicial District Court
- Volunteer Pro Bono Attorney, Law-La-Palooza
- Alliance Defending Freedom
- Peter Johnsone Settlement Faciliation Day - Volunteer Settlement Faciliator