Wolf & Fox, P.C.

Have You Changed Your Name? Tell The Government

Did you change your name in the past year? Have you recently adopted a child? If so, you need to take the necessary steps that are required by the IRS.

All names on your tax return must match the Social Security Administration’s records. If any of the names do not match, it could delay your tax refund. Below is the information you need to know if you have changed your name.

How To Report Your Name Change

If you have married and are using your spouse’s last name, notify the SSA of your name change. Similarly, if you have married and now are hyphenating your name, notify the SSA. Also, if you divorced and have gone back to your former name, let the SSA know.

Reporting your name change ensures that your new name on your tax documents matches the records SSA has on file for you.

To report your name change to SSA, file form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. Download the form from SSA.gov or call 800-772-1213 to order the form. Your new Social Security card will show your new name with the same SSN you had before.

How To Report A Dependent's Name Change

If you have dependent who has had a name change, notify the SSA. This applies, for example, if you adopted a child and the child's last name changed.

If you adopted a child who does not have a Social Security number, you can use an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number on your tax return. An ATIN is a temporary number. Apply for an ATIN by filing Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions, with the IRS. Visit IRS.gov to view, download, print or order the form.

Report Changes in Circumstances  

If you purchase health insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, it is important to report changes in circumstances, such as a name change, a new address or a change in your income or family size. Notify your marketplace of any changes.

Reporting the changes will ensure that you get the proper type and amount of financial assistance.


Source: "What You Should Know If You Changed Your Name," IRS.gov

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

1200 Pennsylvania Street NE
Albuquerque, NM 87110

Phone: 505-633-8381
Fax: 505-268-7027
Map & Directions